Thursday, April 28, 2011

Insidious (2011)

Corny or not, I still have goosebumps.

The plot centers around a young boy, Dalton (Ty Simpkins), falling into a coma after a relatively minor household accident. Things start to happen here and there, and it becomes clear that there is some creepiness going on. His parents, played by Patrick Wilson and Rose Byrne, contract the help of a long lost family friend that happens to be a psychic. What ensues is a series of ridiculous, over the top moments that you will either love or hate. But either way, you'll find yourself flinching at least a few times.

This movie was definitely a mixed bag for me. The setup in the opening half of the movie was brilliant. Once things started happening, you really didn't know what would happen next. There were several times where shivers literally ran up my spine, which is something that a movie hasn't done for me since I was a kid. With that being said, let's get real. There were some ridiculously clichéd, horribly overdone, and just plain corny moments. The kind of moments that made Drag Me to Hell (2009) unwatchable. It's up to your personal taste whether the pure chill factor can outweigh the silliness.

On a side note, I just want to say that the camera work and visual style really went a long way to set the mood. Cocked camera angles and drastic perspective changes heightened the tension, making only slightly creepy moments drag you to the edge of your seat.

All in all, it was worth the watch. I'll give it a 7/10, being that it was only slightly filled with disappoint. If you are a fan of the horror genre, especially older films, you will love this movie. If not, I think you will still enjoy it. Trust me though, bring a friend, lol.

11 comments:

The box-office art/title alone sets the tone that you describe in your review. Looks like I'll be loosing a little sleep in the near future... =)

Interesting review. Have thought about seeing this, but was a little unsure, because it hasnt got the best critiques in the mainstream media. Though, most of the journalists and editors are old and often out of touch with the youth.

Hey, do you know any horror movies where the "evil" forces or Satan win? I loved Dagon for that.

Looks like I need to watch this asap.

Great review man, I'll have to check it out. I love horror flicks

great review and superb blog!

thank you for review, i might just check this one out

Have you seen REC? A spanish horror film, it was creepy as.

I usually dont like creepy movies but this looks good.

Post a Comment